Maritae, the
Goddess of freshwater lakes, rivers, and streams, laid back against the
mountain to admire the beauty of this freshwater falls. Looking down over the
waterfall, she admired all that she was charged with protecting. She smiled and
closed her eyes, seeing the clear, clean freshness of her water. From a
distance, she could hear the wings of a dove flapping over the water. Opening
her eyes, she watched as the dove dived into the water looking for food. She
watched the dove for a while then proceeded to look up the river. In the
distance, she could see a canoe heading downstream and wondered who had
ventured into this deserted area.
As the canoe
approached, Maritae could see a man paddling furiously. His brow was dotted
with sweat and he appeared to be agitated. As he came closer, she hid herself
behind a rock. She knew that, once he arrived where she was, his canoe would
not be able to go any further since this area was dotted with huge boulders.
Arriving
downstream, Maritae watched as the man tried to find a way to maneuver the
canoe around the rocks without success. Finally, he pulled the canoe over to
the bank of the river and jumped out. He was a young man. His hair was black
and he had the sharpest blue eyes she had ever seen before. He was taller than
her and was dressed in buckskin pants and a dark blue shirt.
Standing on
the shore, he examined the area in an attempt to find a way through the rocks
with his canoe without success once again. Heaving a big sigh, he sat down on
the edge of the water and scooped up some water to drink. Maritae watched with
fascination. She had never seen anyone show up in this area before and was therefore
unfamiliar with the ways of the world outside of this area. As she watched, the
man stood up and looked over directly at the rock she was hiding behind as if
he knew she was there.
She stayed
behind the rock so that he would not see her but he already knew she was there.
He snuck up to her rock and peaked over the top, smiling down at her. “Hello,”
he said, “you need not fear me. I will not harm you.” “I am Dryades, the God of
tree and forest nymphs. I have traveled far to try and reach a forest in trouble
and am trying to find a way to get around these rocks so I may continue on.
Would you be able to help me find a way around these rocks?”
Jumping as
he started talking to her, she looked up at him in fear. She had never seen any
other persons before and so she was frightened of him. Once he spoke to her
though, he fear subsided somewhat. Looking up at him Maritae introduced herself
and said, “I am the Goddess of all fresh water and this is where I have lived
for many years now. I have never seen any person here before, only animals. I
am sorry that you need to find a way around these rocks because there is none.
You must walk around them on the shore. There is no other way to get around
them. I’m sorry I can’t help you more.”
As he
listened to her talk, he was stunned at her beauty. She was the most beautiful
woman he had ever seen before. Her long blonde hair, was soft and shone in the
sunlight. She had the most beautiful green eyes a man could get lost in. Her
bottom lip was full and he watched as her tongue darted out and moistened her
lips. Lips he wanted to kiss.
Forcing
himself out of his reverie, he smiled down at her and said, “Thank you Maritae.
I appreciate your help. I must be on my way though as there are others who need
me. I would love it if you could accompany me. Is that possible?” Dryades was
thinking of how much he wanted to get to know her better.
Maritae was
surprised at his words. She had never seen another person before, let alone
been asked to leave the area she had cared for over the last several hundred
years. In fact, she wasn’t even aware that there might be a world outside of
her own. Looking at him she decided that perhaps she should give it a try. “I
think I would like to go with you. I have never been away from here and would
like to see other places.”
Smiling at
her, he said, “Take my hand then and let us be off.” Dryades picked up the
canoe over his shoulder and held Maritae’s hand with his other hand. Leading
her away from the bank of the river, they proceeded to walk next to the river. The
sand was white and was very fine to walk on. They walked for a long time all
the while looking for a way to get around the boulders in the river. Finally,
the boulders cleared and Dryades was able to place the canoe back in the water.
Helping her in to the boat, he climbed in after her and paddled out to the
middle of the river where the water was running swiftly. Soon the current caught them and the canoe
was moving swiftly.
Soon they
reached another area that was forested with huge trees. Maritae had never seen
so many trees before. As they approached the forest, Dryades directed the canoe
over to the bank. Climbing out of the canoe, Maritae could smell something
unfamiliar to her. Becoming alarmed, she grabbed Dryades arm and said, “What is
that smell? I have never smelled anything like it before.” Taking her hand in
his, he directed her to a fallen log in the forest and then sat down next to
her. “That smell is the forest burning a little distance from here. Look up
above the trees and you will see smoke.” Looking up, she could see what
appeared to be very dark clouds billowing over the trees. Bringing her eyes
back to Dryades she said, “I don’t understand. Is this bad?” Shaking his head,
Dryades said, “You really didn’t have any idea that there was life outside of
your own area, did you?” Grabbing her
hand again, he walked her back to the canoe. “I want you to wait here for me
please. The forest is on fire and it is very dangerous for you to be close to
it. I promise I will be back soon.” Watching him walk away, she feared that she
might never see him again. Waiting until he was a distance away, she decided to
follow him.
Arriving at
the scene of the fire, Dryades was talking to another man. Maritae was having
difficulty breathing here because the smoke was much thicker and it stung her
eyes. She watched as Dryades helped the other man pour buckets of water onto
the fire. It was not helping since the trees were much taller than those trying
to put the fire out. Finally, Maritae knew she could help put this fire out.
Calling on her ability to summon fresh water, the sky clouded over and it began
to rain. Not just a light rain but a torrential downpour. Maritae kept the
downpour going until the fire was completely out.
Dryades
spoke to the person in charge of trying to put the fire out and was told that
the fire was out of control and that if something was not done soon, they would
lose the forest altogether. Dryades tried to help but was not any more
effective than those already trying to fight it. Suddenly he noticed the dark
clouds gathering over the fire and he said a silent prayer that it would rain
and douse this fire before it destroyed the whole forest. As he stood there
watching, the clouds opened up and the water poured down on the fire. Standing
there in awe of what was happening he did not notice that Maritae had walked up
to him and was smiling. She took his hand and he was startled that she had come
with him. “Maritae, I think I asked you to wait for me back at the river?”
“Yes,” she said, “You did but I was afraid that something bad would happen to
you so I decided to follow. I saw the problem you and your friend were having
with the fire and knew I could help before any more damage was done. Remember,
I told you that I am the Goddess of all fresh water. You needed water to put
the fire out. So, I summoned the water to help. I hope you are not upset with
me. I just wanted to help you save your forest.” Shaking his head at her, he
wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against his chest. Picking her up
slightly off the ground he hugged her tight against him. Setting her back down
finally, he looked at her and said, “I hate that you risked yourself by coming
here but am forever grateful that you did. If not for you, the forest would
have burned down completely and it would have been years before it would be
restored. This forest is home to the nymphs I am in charge of caring for. If
the forest was burned completely down, they would have been forced to find
another home away from this forest where they have lived for hundreds of
years.” Staring into her gorgeous eyes, he bent his head down and kissed her
very softly on her lips. While he kissed her, she wrapped her arms around his
neck and kissed him back. Stepping away, Maritae struggled with this, her very
first kiss and the feelings that she had never felt before. “Do not fear me
lovely Maritae. You are very important to me and I would love to show you the
world outside of your own. Would you like that?” “Yes, Dryades, I would love
that. I would love to spend my days with you from now until you tire of me.”
“Maritae, my love, I shall never tire of you.”
With that,
they took each other hands and walked back to the canoe. There stood the nymphs
of the forest who flocked around them as they approached. “My lady, I am Hamadryas,
nymph of wood. My fellow nymphs and I would like to thank you for saving our
forest. Without you, we would no longer have our homes. May you go on your way
with our God, Dryades, and find true happiness. If ever we can be of service to
you, please let us know.”
Maritae
looked at the wood nymph and smiled broadly. “Thank you Hamadryas but I was
very happy to help out. I am honored that I was able to save your home. I hope
to see you again sometime.”
Climbing
into the canoe, Maritae and Dryades set off for parts unknown to Maritae. Years
later, they sat together on Maritae’s mountain and held each other close.
Dryades had shown Maritae all that the world had to offer and they were finally
sated from their adventures and had settled into a life in her the glen where
they had first met. As they looked into each other eyes, they knew that they
had seen and done all that was possible and were happy to stay where they are
now and have the life of a couple ready to create their own family.

No comments:
Post a Comment